December 1, 2018
I know big food corporations aren't "bad." They are not out to make us fat or sick. They just want to make money, so then it's all about the bottom line. I do a lot of educating in my office so that we are completely aware. It's OK to have treats but we are not eating something thinking it's healthy when it actually isn't. Arm yourself with knowledge and apply the action steps necessary to build habits you want to keep for life. That is the key to weight loss, healthy lifestyle, and maintaining it all with ease. Here are just a few examples of their deceptions. Don't fall for it.
- Very Berry Cheerios "flavored with real fruit." There's more salt and sugar than berries. There are no whole berries. Same with their Pumpkin Spice Cheerios "made with REAL pumpkin puree." Again, more salt and sugar than pumpkin. "Real food tastes better" does NOT include much real food, unfortunately.
- Vitaminwater Active has 100 calories worth of mostly sugar with a hint of vitamins. It's Coca-Cola's way of making you think ordinary water is not enough for an ordinary workout. It's great for their bottom line though.
- Protein One Bars have "only 90 calories, 10 gram of protein, and 1 gram of sugar" but also includes whey and soy protein isolates, maltitol, palm oil, glycerin, and dozens more processed ingredients. Grab a fruit as your snack instead at least your body will know how to process that.
- Kashi Breakfast Bars "now more fruit," but the additional fruit is made up of pear juice concentrate, tapioca syrup, cane sugar, apple powder, strawberry puree concentrate, cornstarch, vegetable glycerin, natural flavor, and elderberry juice concentrate for color." Hmm..doesn't sound so healthy to me. Sounds like a lot of added sugar.
- Silk Prebiotics Almond & Cashew Milk really just adds chicory root extract (inulin), a carb that your digestive system can't break down causing gas. Not a whole lot of prebiotic benefits.
- There are a million other examples as our supermarkets are filled with processed food.